Enjoy Texas Music License Plate Questions and Guidelines
Enjoy Texas Music license plate application
You can use a credit card to order your Texas Music plate online through the Texas Department of Transportation's website.
(You can also request a paper application to be sent by mail or fax from the Texas Department of Transportation's website.)
Enjoy Texas Music Instrument/Lessons grants application
(Schools may partner with non-profit organizations to apply for grants)
- How does the Enjoy Texas Music license plate benefit the music community?
Funds received through your purchase of the Enjoy Texas Music license plate will go toward one of two programs: To finance (in whole or in part) the purchase of a musical instrument from any Texas retailer for students who could otherwise not afford them; or for a series of one-hour lessons by area private music instructors or professional musicians. To apply for a grant, schools should partner with a non-profit organization and submit a completed Enjoy Texas Music grant application. So far, more than $56,000 worth of Grant Awards have gone to Texas schools.
- Why is "Blind" Lemon Jefferson on the Enjoy Texas Music license plate?
The Enjoy Texas Music license plate features a portrait of Texas blues musician Lemon Jefferson (Sept. 24, 1893 to December 1929) who made 86 records for Paramount in the 1920s, each estimated to have sold 100,000+ copies. Jefferson, who is pictured playing a Lyon & Healy guitar, is recognized as one of the earliest and best "down-home" blues artists, as well as perhaps the most popular male blues singer of the 1920s. He influenced Texas artists such as Leadbelly, Sam "Lightnin'" Hopkins, Mance Lipscomb, T-Bone Walker, and Charlie Christian, as well as B.B. King, Carl Perkins, and the Beatles. Jefferson was inducted into the Blues Foundation's Hall of Fame and his grave is an official Texas historical monument. | read more...
- Why is there a musician on the Enjoy Texas Music license plate?
Enjoy Texas Music license plates honor musicians who made Texas music what it is today, the pioneers who put Texas music on the map, so to speak, and who greatly and profoundly influenced young artists. We also seek to increase interest in Texas' musical history. Every two years, there will be a different pioneer honored in a manner similar to the United States Postal Service's Legends of American Music Series collection.
- Who is the next musician going to be?
The Texas Music Office seeks your input on the next honoree of the Enjoy Texas Music license plate; please email us your suggestions, comments and ideas at email@example.com. (For a list of 478 possible honorees, please visit Texas Music Pioneers.)
- How much does the Enjoy Texas Music license plate cost?
This specialty plate has an annual fee of $30. Of this fee, $22 goes directly toward purchasing instruments or lessons for students.
- Are my vehicle registration fees included in the price of the Enjoy Texas Music license plate?
No. Fees for your annual registration are not included.
- Can I personalize my Enjoy Texas Music license plate?
For an additional $40 (total $70 annual fee) you may order a personalized plate of five letters or less. The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) will review each request to ensure that it does not duplicate another plate already assigned.
- Guidelines for selecting a personalized plate message.
- Selections may not consist of more than five letters, symbols, or spaces OR three letters, symbols or spaces and one silhouette of Texas.
- Limit of two spaces for punctuation symbols OR one silhouette of Texas.
- Each square of the selection block may be used to represent one alpha or numeric character, punctuation symbol, or space. The silhouette of Texas requires two selection blocks. Use an asterisk (*) to indicate the Texas silhouette.
- The only punctuation that can be used are periods and dashes.
- Selections should be shown exactly as you wish them to appear on the license plate. Selections that contain alterations or erasures will not be considered.
- Selections conflicting with the regular license plate numbering system, or those issued, cannot be approved.
- TxDOT will notify you when your personalized plate request has been approved. Personalized plate requests will not be processed until this special plate has met the conditions.
- You may transfer a personalized plate from your current plate to this new plate if it has five spaces or fewer.
- What happens when I pick up my new plate?
You will turn in your current windshield validation sticker and receive a new windshield validation sticker. You will also pay your regular annual vehicle registration fee. Proof of financial responsibility such as a liability insurance card or policy is also required at this time.
- Will the expiration date of my regular vehicle registration change?
Yes. If your vehicle is currently registered when the license plate is issued, your vehicle registration expiration date will be adjusted by TxDOT to correspond with the expiration of the special license plate. If necessary, additional fees will be collected or credit will be issued to make this adjustment.
- When will I receive my Enjoy Texas Music license plate?
Your plates should be ready within approximately two weeks of TxDOT's receipt of your order. Your plates will be sent for you to pick up at your county tax office; please call in advance to make sure they have arrived.
- Can I transfer my Enjoy Texas Music license plate to another vehicle that I own or might buy in the future?
For information about the transfer of specialty license plates, contact your local county tax office.
- What is the law that created the Enjoy Texas Music license plate?
During the 78th Session of the Texas Legislature, House Bill 2971 was passed and signed into law by Governor Perry on June 22, 2003.
Sec. 504.639. TEXAS MUSIC LICENSE PLATE.
(a) The department shall issue specialty license plates that include the words "Texas Music." The department shall design the license plates in consultation with the governor's office. (b) After deduction of the department's administrative costs, the remainder of the fee for issuance of the license plates shall be deposited to the credit of the Texas Music Foundation account established by Section 7.027, Education Code.
Sec. 7.027. TEXAS MUSIC FOUNDATION ACCOUNT.
(a) The Texas Music Foundation account is established as a separate account in the general revenue fund. The account is composed of money deposited to the credit of the account under Section 504.639, Transportation Code. Money in the account may be used only for the purposes of this section.
(b) The Music, Film, Television, and Multimedia Office in the governor's office shall administer the account. The agency may spend money credited to the account only to make grants to benefit music-related educational and community programs sponsored by nonprofit organizations based in this state. An administration fee of $5 per Texas Music license plate shall be retained by the Music, Film, Television, and Multimedia Office for performance of administrative duties.
- Who should we thank for the Enjoy Texas Music license plate?
The Enjoy Texas Music license plate was made possible through the support of Wofford Denius and the Cain Foundation; the TMO would like to thank Mr. Denius for his continuing enthusiasm for Texas music and his support for the Texas Music Office. The TMO would also like to thank Donna Lujan, Lisa Bell, Dan Pockrus, Rep. Ron Wilson, and the Austin Music Foundation for their help in creating the Enjoy Texas Music license plate.
- Out of state but still want a plate?
Enjoy Texas Music souvenir license plates featuring Lemon Jefferson are now available to out-of-state residents for $20. For an additional $20, you can also personalize your plate with up to two lines of eight characters each. To order, contact the Texas Department of Transportation at (512) 374-5010 or send a check, money order or cashiers check to the address listed below. Payments should be made payable to the Texas Department of Transportation. Be sure to indicate that you would like to purchase the SOUVENIR "Texas Music" plate and include your name, address, city, zip, and daytime phone.
Texas Department of Transportation
Vehicle Titles and Registration Division
Special Plates Branch
Austin, TX 78799-0001
Additionally, please specify whether you would prefer the standard souvenir plate or the personalized souvenir plate (additional $20). If you order the personalized plate, remember to include the characters you would like printed on the plate. Symbols may include the following: # ? $ - /, a silhouette of Texas, or a space. Personalization deemed to be offensive will not be approved.
- What if I have more questions?
Call the Texas Music Office at 512-463-6666 or the TxDOT Special Plates Branch at 512-374-5010.
Texas Music Office
P.O. Box 13246
Austin, TX 78711
Enjoy Texas Music license plate application
Lemon Jefferson design by Jodi Jenkins